Modern reading theory emphasizes that the reader is a “meaning maker,” not an empty vessel to be filled with meaning by a teacher.
Your blog is a place for you to explore what meaning the book has for you. You need to reflect on your reading. Write a blog of your thoughts. DO NOT summarize the plot. Provide context and make sure there is a personal reflection.
There is a myriad of things you can write about:
- make connections to outside texts in support of your reading of Frankenstein
- explore characterization and relationships
- examine the various types of heroes
- analyse the language
- identify and explore the doppelgangers in the book
- comment on the Romantic and/or Gothic elements
Or further, consider asking yourself:
- What does this book mean in terms of my family and friends? Why should people my age be concerned with the issues presented in this book?
- What does this book mean in terms of my community? Country? How do the ideas in this book affect both my community or country? What relevance does it play in relation to our national well-being?
- What does this book mean about the human condition? What can I learn about humanity from reading this text? What are the universal truths it contains?
- What is the most valuable idea in this book?
- Choose a theme evident in the book and search for evidence of this theme, or layers of this theme, in today’s world.
Ultimately, make connections and explore them in your blog.
Read the blogs of your peers. Follow the Student Guideline for Commenting and respond to the blogs your peers write and encourage discussion.
|Success Criteria — Standards for this task|
|Content and Creativity – 40 %
Postings provide moderate insight, understanding and reflective thought about the topic.
Postings present a specific viewpoint that is substantiated by supporting examples and links to websites or documents, but not all links enhance the information presented.
Postings are generally well written with some attempts made to stimulate dialogue and commentary.
|Voice – 20 %
Postings are written in a style that is generally appropriate for the intended audience and an attempt is made to use a consistent voice.
Postings reflect a bit of the author’s personality through word choices that attempt to bring the topic to life.
|Text Layout, Use of Graphics & Multimedia — 20%
Formatting helps make the post easy to read
Selects and inserts graphics and multimedia that are mostly high quality and enhance and clarify the content.
Acknowledges most image and multimedia sources with captions or annotations.
|Quality of Writing and Proofreading — 10 %
Writing has 1-2 grammatical errors.
Transitions clearly show how ideas are connected, but there is little variety.
Language is considerably engaging and fluent.
Most sentences are well-constructed with varied structure.
|Citations – 10 %
Most information sources are cited accurately
Proper citation used for most images